My Favorites

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Unschooling, Really School?


On top of a mountain
We didn’t plan on breaking out the Kindergarten so soon by our little is just a sponge like most and just couldn’t wait to get started. I figured we would take it nice and slow and drag Kindergarten out over two school years, but he just gobbled every book and every assignment up like the natural little learner that he is. It was a lot of work, but it passed by so fast because we made it all fun and play and enjoyable.
 
My hope is that he will always enjoy learning has he does right now. I realize to maintain this love for learning it will require some purposeful parenting on our part. I absolutely love that we starting this homeschooling method from the beginning because our little definition of school has been redefined from my own definition.
 

Lego
School for him is every aspect of life. Because he has friends public schooling he will often ask “is this school?”  I do my best to answer him “Yes, but all things are school. We are always learning and growing.”    We celebrated his “kindergarten” year of completion with some of our homeschool friends.  We had a lot of fun and was amazed at how well the event was put together by our homeschool friends.  Although the youths were recognized for their years accomplishments it was done in such a way that it wasn’t forgotten to be fun and enjoyable for all ages.  So I was so happy we were able to be a part of it. I thought it was a great way to wrap up a period of learning although we homeschool year-round it was wonderful to be a part of like-minded people, both in faith, parenting and homeschooling.
Graduation with his witness homeschool group

We went through some amazing curriculum and I love how we didn't "plan" every aspect of everyday out. It amazed me how one simple question each day led to so much learning "What would you like to do today?" I am by no means an expert on all things schooling, but as a child that has was in the public school system and in homeschool myself and now pursuing homeschool for my own family I see what kind of opportunities can open for us if we don't try so hard to do "school" at home. I can see where a teacher would need to select a topic for a class of thirty plus kids, because if you asked 30 plus kids what they wanted to do you would probably get 30 plus different answers and nothing would get accomplished. But, when you are at home with 1 to 6, give or take a few, this question posed to your learners makes a lot more sense doesn't it?   

 
Learning about days of old
  
   History: Cars, Planes, motorcycles
Art/Nature Study













When I stopped saying "today we are going to do this..." and started asking "What would you like to do today?" I noticed a huge shift in his both our attitudes and happiness levels. There was no longer a struggle to do this or that. The interest level in whatever we do is beyond anything I ever imagined and the learning is happening! We both are having so much fun "outside of the box". I love listening to him tell his friends all the things he has been learning and you can tell that he loves learning.
Determined, R/C

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *