My Favorites

Monday, May 5, 2014

The Homeschooling Style of Unschooling


When I first heard this term unschooled about three years ago, I thought that is CRAZY! Parents actually NOT schooling their children, that is just awful! Well the more I read about it and learned the more I realized my initial perception of what unschooling is was nothing like what I thought. It may make up the 1%, but it has nothing to do with the other 90% - plus. Basically speaking unschooled is just a style of homeschooling. If you spend anytime surfing online you will find, what feels like, a zillion different homeschooling styles. All of it can be a little overwhelming and confusing when you start researching if you let it. I have even found there are different types of unschoolers as well.

(Above, mom and son playing Indians)
So what is an unschooler? Well it varies from one family to the next so I can only speak from our family. A general definition IMO is: An unschooler is a student of life that learns from ones environment, things of interest and persons surrounding them and ones they may meet. Instead of having a teacher a parent is more of a facilitator. Unschoolers are not typically anti-school or anti-education, but just the opposite. They desire for each child to take an active role in their own education and pursue the styles of learning they best relate to and apply them to their interest of study. They do not force or manipulate the student to learn, but help the student to identify his/her love of learning and help them achieve their learning goals.

I have heard many times that unschoolers do not use a curriculum and if that is the case than our family is NOT an unschooled family. Why do I say that? First of all, I hate labels and much prefer to be called Life Learners or learning from home. I like it better than the term unschoolers, but that is just me. I hate the stereotypes labels put on things. Just like my misconception I had in what an unschooler was at the beginning. In general, when someone asks us “oh where does your son go to school?” I reply “we do learning at home. So back to the curriculum. Some of you unschoolers reading this blog post, I hope you are still breathing while you are waiting for my response about the curriculum. (BREATH!) Yes we use a curriculum. My child loves books and loves a lot of hands on activities and learning new things so I do use a curriculum, although (there’s the but) unlike maybe, a traditional school or homeschool there is no force or manipulation to use the curriculum. If my child said I don’t want to read that or do that, then we don’t, simple as that. There is always something else to learn so why teach them something they’re not ready for yet or have no interest in and will never use? I can see some mouths drop off here and saying: But you have to teach IT, what if they are at their job someday and need it? I can answer that, but first I have to ask you a question. Can you remember a time in school when you had to learn something because it was required to pass the class or test and you had no interest in learning it? Do you still remember it? Some of you may answer yes, but I can almost guarantee that the majority of us at on more than one occasion forgot that concept shortly after that class or test was over because it held no importance to us beyond that point. Yes there is some thought in the fact that it may stick, but if they really don’t like it what is the point of making it stick? Just because they know it, they should choose to follow a career to do something they dislike or should they follow their interests and passion and follow a career in that pathway? There may be an argument there to be had, but that is my thoughts on the topic.


(Above chemistry experiments, left: Density Right: solids verses liquids)

I can remember taking Algebra in middle school for advance credit. In order to pass I had to make an A or a B. I really tried hard to learn the concepts as the overachiever that I was. My teacher told me “you’re just not working hard enough”. That was just not true. She offered me after school tutoring, which I jumped at. I brought my score from a D to a C, which was not enough to get credit for. I was proud of my efforts despite still not understanding what I had learned. With the advantage of the tutoring she gave me the skills to pass the test. Did that mean that I finally got it? Far from it! As soon as that test was over my Algebra skills left the building. Years later while in college learning something I was interested in learning I saw an Algebra concept in action and saw a real life example of it. I learned that algebra equation, although I have never put it to use as my interest have changed, the point is if it’s something of interest to you that you desire to know you will learn it when you need it. There is no cut off for learning. My mother is 56 years old and is a college student. She has been in classes ever since I have known her. She is known for breaking electronic devices until they are not even repairable. She took her computer in to a computer repair shop a few months ago and they said “throw it away”. She took a computer class and repaired the computer herself. Why? Because it interest her and she wanted it fixed. We are all natural learners are we not? At least we were until education and test got in our way.
(Below, Five in A Row, Study of Paris, France, Madeline)
So our little natural learning, unschooling-homeschooling family uses Five in a Row and additional curriculum as well. My child loves it at this point keeps asking for more and more. We also do a lot of Charlotte Mason style learning like nature walks and nature journals and collecting and natural reading. My son loves doing workbooks sometimes too, so you will often see us working in a school workbook. My child LOVES anything hands-on. Last week he was really into volcanoes so I checked out a bunch of books from the library on volcanoes and we learned all about them and built our own volcano. This week I found a chemistry set and every day we have been a different chemistry experiment. Today we read a book about Japan, located Japan on the map, talked about the geography of Japan and the culture and distance from Japan to us here in the USA. He doesn’t recognize that he is doing “school” like most traditionally schooled children because there is not division between our life and school. He is learning every day from the things we call “life” and the intentional persons, places and things we put into our environment as well.  Sometimes, because I am have to retrain my thinking as well, I will say this is for school and our son will ask “that was school?” Ha-ha! He really has no idea what is school and what is not because he is a natural learner and whether he realizes it or not everything is a learning experience and we are all being “schooled” every day, intentionally or unintentional.

 (Below, Study on Volcanoes)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *