My Favorites

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Putting in the Garden -The Play Of Childhood Is Work


We are all very excited to actually be working on our little farm again. The past few years there has been so much going on that it has been hit and miss and with me not working secularly now some of the ideas I have always had for our Littlefoot Farm may actually be in grasp. I just hope the energy and the finances will be there to get it all accomplished. I wish I could harness some of my little’s energy and zap it into me somehow. What I would do for some of that! Could you imagine if that was possible? Oh if only.

 The hubby tilled up our first phase summer garden spot Sunday afternoon, which I thought was never going to happen because the tiller was giving trouble, but after about four hours of labor hubby finally got it run. Could you imagine the days before with had motorized equipment. No wonder those generations were so fit looking, they worked their tails off for sure. I just can’t imagine things like cutting a thick tree down with a handsaw or ax and then the task of actually cutting it into logs and then splitting the logs  and having to do it to survive all winter long, keeping the fire going. Makes me remember the time we got iced in at my sister-n-laws. The power went out, but thankfully she had a fireplace. We dragged the mattress into the living room to sleep. My hubby got the fire going and all night long every time he would get almost to sleep his sister would get cold and he was off outside to get wood. He kept that fire going all night and was so exhausted the next day. We still laugh about that night. I don’t know if too many of us could now adapt to the days without electric, running water, motor powered equipment. Which raises the question would we want to? I know I enjoy it when we go camping, but not sure if I would like it permanently or not.

 Monday the little and I spent the morning reading books, doing a few fun “school” activities and doing some house chores as we have a busy week and company visiting our congregation this week. In the afternoon we raked the garden and got out all the grass clumps. We have so missed our vegetable garden and not putting it in the grass came back stronger since it didn’t get dug up last two year. Thankfully we have a tiller. I loved that I am seeing so many earth worms. Our seed collection got moldy so tomorrow I am heading out to collect some new seeds and maybe some plants.  In addition we have our first meeting with our local homeschool collaborative on Tuesday which I am anxiously anticipating. I am hoping it will be a good addition to our school program and that my little likes it. I dread going grocery shopping, but that is a must on the list as well. So busy, busy….
(Left, Bug Hunting with Snoopy)
 
The weather is so beautiful her in the North Georgia foothills right now. You just want to be outdoors all day. I love how beautiful all the dogwoods are and my iris are starting to bloom that my momma gave me. I saw the most beautiful snowball bush I have ever seen yesterday. We enjoyed a salad and some homemade pizza on the deck last night and when it got dark we had a movie night featuring: “Mars Needs Mom”, which is a really cute movie, and ate some chocolate covered strawberries I made. I will tell you, that is my kind of dessert right there!

Our little is so excited about the garden. He seems to not remember our gardens from when he was a baby and toddler. Yesterday he asked “does this mean I am a real farmer now?” I told him yes and he started jumping up and yelling: “YEAH!” He worked all afternoon in the garden yesterday and was back at it again today with me. I love his work ethic. “The play of childhood is work.” –Lacey


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *