My Favorites

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Greens, Eggs and Ham (minus the Ham)


A while back I shared a recipe for sliced cabbage on my Facebook page so I could try it later. The recipe claimed that even if you didn’t like cabbage you would like cabbage if you tried it cooked this way. I love cabbage, but the hubby, unless it is sauerkraut on a bratwurst or smothered in mayonnaise as a slaw he “ain’t eaten’ it” (there’s you some good ole’ southern boy talk. I married a Georgia boy with a Kentucky family. <3). Well he agreed to try it.

A few months went by and I remembered I wanted to make the Sliced Cabbage Recipe and somehow I lost it and couldn’t find it on my Facebook page, but I had already bought the cabbage.  So I improvised with what I had on hand and our dinner guest that evening, who love cabbage, seemed to like it, but my hubby not so much. It was just okay to me. I found it to be a little on the bland side, like it was missing something.  There was a few slices left over so I put the away in the fridge because I just don’t like to be wasteful (and it gives me something to throw out the next time I clean my fridge out. –Rolling my eyes- You know you do it too!).

The next morning I was scouring the fridge for some fruit to go with my eggs for breakfast and we had completely run out and there sat the cabbage from the night before. Well, I have never had cabbage for breakfast, but I wanted something nutritious for breakfast, so cabbage it is. I warmed it up and cooked me two eggs sunny side up just the way I like them and place them on top of the cabbage slices. Well I cut into those eggs and the yolk ran all over the cabbage and it was the most delicious thing I have put in my mouth for breakfast ever. I was very disappointed when it was gone. It was the best breakfast I think I have ever had, but don’t take my word for it, I may be a cabbage head. :P

I call it Greens, Eggs and Ham (minus the ham, unless you like that sort of thing.). You get the correlation? Green Eggs and Ham….Dr. Seuss….sorry I spend my day with a five year old (really that’s just an excuse, ha!) Give it a try!

Ingredients:

1 head of cabbage

Salt

Pepper

Italian seasoning or dill (optional)

Olive or coconut oil (or whatever cooking oil you have)

Eggs

 

Directions:

Cut cabbage into round slices, about ½ inch this or as desired. Leave in the heart. Placing on a greased baking sheet. Drizzle cabbage with oil as desired. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add other seasoning herbs if desired. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until tender to your liking. Cook eggs over easy or sunny side up, whatever your preference and put over slice of baked cabbage and enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *