My Favorites

Monday, January 5, 2015

Easy Peasy...Is it Easy?

Have you heard of Easy Peasy? I think we have settled into Easy Peasy for now as our go to source for phonics and math. My son is not crazy about the phonics, but he really wants to read so he tolerates it and honestly he hasn't liked any phonics program we have tried so far and this one doesn't take too much time and he is grasping some of it.


We are using the McGuffey Primer on the Easy Peasy site for our phonics. I like how it has words to go over with your child three different times per day and a short reading assignment containing those words. We are also doing some flash cards because my son loves stickers and he likes getting a sticker when he masters learning a new word. Not sure that would work with every student, but the stickers do for him. If it wasn't for the stickers he would totally not do the flashcards, let me tell you! This is in addition to our normal reading rituals. (We row books from Five In A Row and do additional reading and activities using the Bible and Bible-based materials).

The Easy Peasy math curriculum he is so excited about. He loves it!  We are using the first grade math. He actually does more of the math then I require of him. He loves the math games and I like how it presents something fresh everyday. He even enjoys the worksheets too, which surprised me.


Enjoying a garden tomato and recording it in his nature journal.
What I like most about Easy Peasy is you can just pick up anywhere and pick and choose what you want to do or you can follow it as a whole. It has a great structure for a complete curriculum. I have read several people say that there isn't enough material and their kid gets done really fast. I just don't find this to be the case for us. My son spends a couple hours playing the math games, we spend about forty-five minutes on the phonics and this is just on these two subjects and doesn't include the time he spends on the worksheets that I usually print-off and he does in the evening with his dad.

Another feature I like is the daily progress chart as sometimes I like to over complicate things and this is so easy, yet so complete. I just X off each day as we complete the assignments and done. I have made one similar for our subjects outside of Easy Peasy as well and thinking of making all-in-one form soon. When I get it done I will share it with all of you here on my blog. The site is really easy to navigate with just enough instructions. There is lots of printable school supplies lists and handwriting sheets. Anyone that is looking for an inexpensive yet quality program should definitely check out Easy Peasy, even if you already have a program there is a lot of supplemental material that could be put to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *